Friday, August 27, 2010

Israel

After a spur of the moment decision to head to Israel, I was a train to Frankfurt to fly to Istanbul then onto Tel Aviv. Unfortunately the flight form Frankfurt was over an hour late so consequently missed the connecting flight to Tel Aviv. Since I was now officially staying in turkey albeit two and a half hours in a Hotel, I was required to obtain a visa…. more waiting and more lines. It was the second time in the passport control lines I developed a deep hatred for lines.


The Hotel boasted 4 stars however what these stars meant was anyone’s guess. At reception I was greeted by a man who had his dirty white shirt unbuttoned and looked greasier than most. The room had no windows and was dank with smoke. In the bathroom I expected to see a body in an ice bath, missing a kidney. It was that kind of place. I left with my kidneys. After a few hours to nap I was picked up and taken to the airport for some more waiting in the waiting lines.

Arrive Tel Aviv - Israel
The erratic ride in the taxi of speeds up to 120 in 80 zones and cutting across 4 lanes of traffic, left me wondering if I should be paying for the transport service, or some wild new adrenalin sport. Or just ensure my life insurance is up to date.


I hired a car and drove to the north into the Golan through the Druze villages and stopped for delicious Druze pita. The Druze people are apparently very traditional and have a secretive ancient religion. Some traditions brutal and quite shocking.

The north still shows signs of the most recent conflict. Tanks still are at sitting silently high at their positions. On the flats the remnants of twisted trucks and tanks are not far from the memorials left for the killed soldiers. Tanks trenches, barricades and bomb shelters are never far away. Many abandoned buildings have pock marks or walls blown out. Land mines also are common in the northern areas. This is not a place to accidentally ride onto a firing range.

Land mines

We drove to Ein Gedi near the dead sea and went for a swim in the salty waters. The small waves seemed to travel much slower and the water appeared and felt oily. The water was hot and stung like hell if it got into your eyes. The only vegetation in the area is the occasional date farm or the odd oasis. We had dinner at a Kibbutz which is similar to a commune but a little less hippiefied and more of a communal farm.

riding at the dead sea

I had a look around the old Jerusalem and saw the usual tourist sights. Road blocks were common around the west bank and Jerusalem and security seemed high. There were metal detectors and bag searches at all public places, shopping centres, bus, train stns etc.

spices at market


I had dinner with a lovely family who’s father is metal worker who is a holocaust survivor. He worked in Auschwitz as a blacksmith. Up until recently still producing metal sculptures. I went to see cars and bikes at the weekly car club gathering. Not the place I would expect to see such a gathering of corvettes, dodges and others.

Leaving Tel Aviv. I arrived at the airport earlier than needed as I had been questioned and security was tight and lengthy on entry a week earlier. This was fortunate as I was taken aside and integrated for over an hour about purpose of trip, who I met where I went, If I had accepted any gifts/packages. Etc. My apparent lack of luggage and reason for light travelling seemed to be particular interest. I was x-rayed 3 times and my luggage more. My shoes got special attention and were taken several times. The first time they were swabbed the machine got the attention of 3 security guys. Not sure what the reading produced. I was taken to a small room and questioned once again by a “supervisor“. I was asked to take and show photos to security. The carry on luggage was taken as it apparently required extra time for examination and arrangements were made so it was available for pick up in Frankfurt. Once they established I was not a threat I was personally ushered through the passport checks and security and onto the waiting plane. Security is tight in Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment